May 2013 Newsletter
Message From the President
Many thanks to Aruna Mannie for her excellent presentation “Tectono-stratigraphic evolution of salt diapir collapse-related depocentres: Upper Jurassic, Cod Terrace, Central North Sea” at the April evening meeting. We got to see how truly integrated Petrophysics can be with other sub-surface disciplines. Aruna is a PhD student at Imperial College and the LPS paid for her to log core in Stavanger as part of her studies through the Iain Hillier award scheme.
At the next Evening meeting on 7th May, we are very pleased to welcome SPWLA Distinguished speaker, Ton Loermans, who will give us two talks, “Establishing the original fluid contacts in a giant oil field …” after 40 years of production” and “Advanced Mud Logging”, On Tuesday 18th June 2013 the London Petrophysical Society will be holding a one-day seminar entitled ‘Seeing is Believing – the applications of well-bore image logs to petrophysics, geology and engineering’, at the Geological Society, Burlington House, London. With presentations from British Geological Survey, Eriksfiord AS, Gaia Earth Sciences, GeoScience Limited, Harvey Rock Physics Pty Ltd, Prolog Geoscience & BHICS Ltd., Task Geoscience, University of Leeds, University of Leicester, Baker Hughes, Schlumberger and Weatherford UK. There will be case studies and presentations on topics as wide as comparing images from oil and water based muds; using images to determine the suitability of Halite for gas storage; using images to characterise Carbonates, Clastics and Unconventionals. Please see the website for a registration form.
Don’t forget to take advantage of the SPWLA’s new membership initiative before it ends on 31st May. If you join the SPWLA as a new member and you are a member of the LPS (or another Chapter such as AFES), you won’t be charged a member ship fee for 2013. The membership dues are waived for New or Re-Joining Members who are sponsored by Officer of SIG or Local Chapter, who join before May 31st 2013. The dues waived until Jan-1st-2014 and you will only get the “Petrophysics”on-line version (not paper copy)
- Complimentary Membership – “How to” Guide
- Go to SPWLA.org website
- On the membership services tab, click on “Become a Member”
- Read the “Requirements and Qualifications” first
- Use your local chapter President as a reference if you want to use the free offer (ie Mike Millar)
- Please note the comment about it taking 3 to 4 weeks to process
- And don’t forget to get in touch with me if you have ideas about how you would like a new Dialog
- on-line LPS publication to look, what it should cover, papers that need publishing, letters that
- need airing, etc. etc., please get in touch.
All the best
Mike Millar : LPS President