June 2017 Newsletter
Message From the President
Dear Members & Friends of the LPS,Seminars, seminars, and more seminars! A rich selection is coming your way!
1. We have a fantastic set of speakers lined up for next Wednesday 5th July, for our seminar titled ‘From Petrophysics to Geomodel’. The day’s agenda is detailed on the next page, and tackles head-on the challenges of upscaling petrophysical and reservoir data from wellbore to the 3D model, with several field examples used to highlight workflows. Definitely a seminar NOT to miss!
2. ‘Call for Abstracts’ is now open for our September seminar, titled ’Challenging Reservoirs’ with presentation titles to be submitted by 4th August.
3. The SPWLA Annual Symposium has just wrapped up in Oklahoma, a successful event with 600+ people registered. This suggests the tides have turned, boding well for our London 2018 event. The incoming SPWLA President is Brett Wendt, who has already reached out to the Chapter Presidents with very positive discussions on our future integration.
4. A full 5-day professional course on ‘Integrated Petrophysics for Reservoir Characterisation’ will be held by Mark Deakin on 16-20th October. The LPS is sponsoring this course, with full details on page 17.
5. A 3-day interactive training course on 16-18th August titled ‘Log Data Acquisition & Quality Control’. This well-known course was originally created by Philippe Theys, but is now delivered by Martin Storey under an exclusive license. The LPS is sponsoring this course also, with full details on page 18.
We have tightened our Travel Policy which reimburses reasonable travel for students coming from outside London, and the new rules can be seen at https://lps.org.uk/about-lps. Finally, I am proud to announce that those members who are genuinely unemployed (not ‘part-time consultants’), will be able to attend the LPS seminars for half price. Hope to see you on July 5th!
Michael O’Keefe – LPS President